ATTENDEE CODE OF CONDUCT AND HALL COSPLAY RULES
AWX invites attendees to wear their costumes or favorite anime gear around the con. For everyone’s safety and enjoyment, please observe the following policies regarding hall costuming and general attendance. Please note that these rules apply to ALL ATTENDEES, whether or not you are in costume!
Personal Interaction Policy
- Do not touch another person, or his/her costume, without permission. Uninvited glomping, hugging, grabbing or roughhousing is dangerous and potentially illegal. Those exhibiting such behavior will receive ONE WARNING and have their badges tagged; any further violation will result in badge confiscation and being ejected from the convention.
- Be respectful of others. No harassment, catcalling, verbal abuse, stalking or threatening behavior will be tolerated.
- In the case of sexual harassment or abuse, including groping, suggestive comments, or illicit photographing, we will not hesitate to contact local law enforcement.
- If you wish to take a photo of a cosplayer, please ask his/her permission first.
- Do not block hallways or public areas while taking photos. If you are taking a photo, please move to one side of the hallway or go to another area.
- Photography and videorecording are not permitted in the video rooms. Videorecording is permitted in panel rooms only with the consent of the panelists.
Costume Coverage Policy
- This is a family-friendly event; please dress appropriately. Laws of public decency apply — if you would not wear it to the post office, do not wear it at the con. No nudity or adult-themed props/paraphernalia is permitted.
- Women: Your costume must cover, at minimum, as much as a typical bikini bathing suit. Breasts and buttocks must be reasonably covered. If your costume calls for a thong, pasties or other below-minimum-coverage elements, please wear a body suit beneath it.
- Men: Your costume must cover, at minimum, as much as a typical pair of boxer shorts. If your costume calls for a Speedo-cut brief or other below-minimum-coverage elements, please wear pants or a body suit beneath it.
- Genitalia and/or nipples must not be visible through the costume.
- AWX staff reserves the right to make final judgment calls on what is “decent” and what is not. If staff feels that your costume is indecent or inappropriate in any way, you will be asked to change or cover it.
- Appropriate footwear is required at all times in the hotel and convention area. If your costume calls for bare feet, you may wear flip-flops, ballet slippers, or invisible shoes, but the soles of your feet should not come in contact with the floor.
ALL WEAPONS must be inspected and approved by Security prior to being carried or displayed in public areas. If you are found to be in violation of this policy, your weapon will be confiscated and you may be ejected from the convention.
No projectile weapons of any kind, active or disabled, are permitted.* This includes, but is not limited to:
- real firearms
- pellet guns
- paintball guns
- air guns
- water guns
- cap guns
- dart guns
* The ONLY exception to this policy is if the person carrying the weapon is an on-duty law enforcement officer.
Artificial and replica guns will be permitted, pending inspection by Security, only if they meet the following criteria:
- they have no clips or moving parts
- they do not, and have never been able to, fire a projectile
- they have a non-removable orange safety tip
Prop bows or slingshots may be carried only if they are unstrung or configured in such a way that they are unable to launch a projectile, as determined by Security. No taut bowstrings are permitted. Arrows may not have nocks or sharp heads.
No live steel (edged metal weapons) will be permitted. Bladed replica weapons must be made of a non-metal, non-sharp material, must be no more than 48 inches in length, and must be approved by Security.
Commercial weapon replicas purchased in the dealer room must remain peace-bonded at all times, and must be taken directly to your vehicle after purchase. They may not be carried around the convention or left in the hotel. If you are seen carrying a noncompliant weapon in convention areas, it will be confiscated and held by Security until the end of the convention.
If you do not have a vehicle at the convention in which to stow your purchase, you may check the weapon with Security to be held until the end of the convention. AWX is not responsible for lost or forgotten items.
Props & Accessories Policy
- Props carried in public areas may not extend more than 6 inches beyond your body in any direction. (Example: If you are 5′ 6″ tall, your prop may be up to 6′ tall, but may not be more than 6″ wider than you are.) This is for the safety of all congoers, as well as to prevent damage to personal property. If your prop is oversized, please do not bring it into public areas.
- If you are using an oversized prop for a special event, such as the Masquerade or for purposes of demonstration in a panel, you may have the prop approved by Security for temporary use in those areas ONLY. The prop must be returned to your hotel room or car immediately when the event is over.
- Metal props may not be carried in public areas. This applies to large props and weapons, as well as small hand props such as shuriken, fans, wrenches or other items. Metal is permitted on the costume itself, provided it extends no more than 6 inches from the body in any direction, is not sharp, and does not present a safety hazard, as determined by convention staff.
- Use caution when carrying or displaying large props. If you are seen wielding a large prop in a reckless or dangerous manner, your prop may be confiscated.
- If convention staff feel that your prop poses a risk to others, you will be asked to remove the item from public areas, or it may be confiscated.
- Inflammable materials such as candles, fireworks, sparklers, liquid fuels or other fire hazards are strictly prohibited. Small personal smoking paraphernalia (cigarettes, lighter, etc.) may be carried, but may not be used in public convention areas.
- Your costume should not shed. Please avoid loose materials such as sand, glitter, confetti, flower petals or other items that are designed to fall, scatter or otherwise separate from your costume.
- Signs are not permitted unless they are an intrinsic part of your character’s costume. Personal message signs, fandom signs (such as “Free Hugs,” etc.) and similar non-cosplay-specific signs are prohibited.
- Clothing that displays messages deemed to be inappropriate or offensive to others will not be permitted. This includes (but is not limited to) explicit language, sexually suggestive or racially offensive material, and icons related to rape or pedophilia (including Pedobear). Convention staff reserve the right to ask attendees to change or cover offensive clothing. Failure to comply will result in your badge being confiscated.