2015 AMV Contest Rules & Guidelines
Welcome to the Anime World Expos 2015 AMV Contest!
Deadline: Your completed submission form must be received by 11:59pm CST Friday, August 21, 2015 (one week before the convention).
Categories are somewhat “to be determined” and will be developed based on the entries we receive. As part of the submission process, you will be asked to select which category or categories you think your AMV will fit under. We will do our best to accommodate you, but please understand we might have to do some shuffling.
You do not have to be an attendee of Anime World Expos in order to compete. (The entry form asks about it, but this is just for tracking purposes and does not affect the contest itself.)
AWX staff members may enter the contest, but only with non-competing “exhibition-only” entries. Other editors may also enter non-competing exhibition-only entries. Exhibition-only entries may be cut for time. If you would like your entry to be exhibition-only, you must say so in the “Is there anything else you’d like the contest coordinators to be aware of …” question on the entry form.
In the event that more entries are received than can be shown, submissions will be limited to one per editor. If you are submitting multiple videos, please tell us which one should be cut if it comes to that. (You can do this in the “Is there anything else you’d like the contest coordinators to be aware of …” question on the entry form.)
- You must fill out the entry form once per video you submit.
- Two (2) entries are allowed per editor (but as stated above, if we receive a large number of entries, this number will be reduced to one).
- For editors who submit two (2) entries, the following rules apply:
- the entries must be different categories from each other
- at least one of the entries must be Comedy, Dance/Fun, or otherwise “upbeat”
- Videos must be received by the deadline (see top of this page).
- Videos must be less than 18 months old – that is, they must not have been shown at a convention or available to view online before February 21, 2014.
- Videos that have been submitted to previous Anime World Expos AMV contests are ineligible.
- Videos must be no shorter than 30 seconds, but no longer than 5 minutes.
- Videos must look “clean” – no watermarks, no logos, no subtitles (unless they were added by the editor for specific effect), etc.
- Videos must not contain any “bumpers” or other credits. If received, bumpers and credits will be edited out. (The exception to this rule is if the credits are part of the AMV itself.)
- Videos must be at a PG-13 or lower rating; please use “clean” versions of the songs or censor any offensive audio yourself. Explicit sexual content and excessive violence is prohibited, and what constitutes as such is up to the discretion of the contest coordinators. Basically, keep things family-friendly. Please contact us if you have questions about this rule.
- At least 75% of the footage used in the video must be of Japanese origin. This includes anime, video games, J-dramas, etc. Videos using primarily Western media sources (e.g., Avatar: The Last Airbender, My Little Pony, Disney, etc.) are ineligible.
- Entries in violation of these rules will be subject to disqualification. The contest coordinators also reserve the right to revise these rules and/or disqualify any entries for other reasons that might not be listed here at the moment, based on their discretion.
The contest coordinators aim to be flexible on this. Please use your best judgment regarding file types, file size, etc. when submitting. We will contact you if there are problems.
- The file must be of reasonable size for us to download and play back smoothly on the average computer. Files under 600MB preferred; if your video is larger and cannot be further compressed for some reason, please contact the contest coordinator (see the bottom of this page).
- AVI and MP4 files are preferred.
- Make sure your video is high enough quality/resolution that it will look good projected onto a large screen. 720p or larger is preferred.
All entries must be submitted via a direct download link (Mediafire, Dropbox, etc.). If you need to use a different submission process due to video size or other circumstances, please contact the contest coordinator to make other arrangements.
Okay, I’m ready to submit my entry!
Great! Click here to go to the entry form.
I need to contact the contest coordinators about something.
Sure thing! BUT FIRST, please make sure you’ve read all of the above. If you still can’t find your answer, then you can e-mail AMV coordinator Erica , and make sure to put “AWX AMV Contest” somewhere in the subject line.
Thanks for reading, and good luck!